Thursday, January 31, 2019

Stitching things up

Here it is almost February - the seasons come and go and yet stuff gets done, hands are kept busy. In December I made an Altered book for the upcoming show at the Collins Library, University of Puget Sound called Transforming Knowledge.
Here's a link https://pugetsoundbookartists.wildapricot.org/event-3159178
Frankly, I just couldn't cut into the encyclopedia I was given. I just couldn't. So here's what I did:
Not a great photograph but you get the idea. Can't wait to see the other entries.

Lady Britannica

The Collins Library and Puget Sound Book Artist is also having an
 international show in the fall. The title is All Stitched Up. 
So I have been stitching. All these projects fall into the category of play except for one. 
It may or may not be suitable for entry. We will see. 

This one is called Solar Blue.
 I may rip the binding apart and try again on the binding.  
Or what does it matter?
Perhaps I shouldn't watch the news channel with talk about the shutdown, 
Muller investigation and that damn WALL while stitching. 
I can't tell you how many times I stuck my finger when 
I grew outraged with the news! 



My next cloth book was Soft Kitty.




I love the gauzy fabric and the fringe edge. 
The book itself is soft and delicate.

Next came a more serious effort. 
I call it O.O
Its in remembrance of my mother. 
It contains many of her favorite flowers. 
The cloth was from boiled wool Sea Scout uniforms.
Nice thick pages and worth the challenge. 



This next book was just for fun. 
I call it Scraps and Thrums - Krazy Kats.
Listening to myself say that out loud 
 it doesn't seem quite right. 
I will have to rework that title.
See, that's the best part of this making/creating stuff. 
If I want I can just up and change the name if it doesn't suit me any longer. 






This little thing was an experiment on the theme - pocketbook.
It's got pockets. It was also a study in mark making with stitchery. 

Eggs in the Nest:




It is almost like a wallet. 

So, that's how I spent January. 
I recycled scraps, used up thrums, made more scraps 
and more thrums and had a good deal of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment