Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Pandemic Period Catch Up

 Time has passed... what with the pandemic and all. This catching up with life is long overdue. I am reminded I did have had some productive moments during the past three tumultuous years.  

In 2020/2021 I participated in Science Stories which was on display at the Collins Library at University of Puget Sound in Tacoma. 

 Bound/ Unbounded






Here's a link to the project:


My work is listed under Mountains. 
You can also read about my science partner, Abir Biswas who provided the 
field research for my books. 

In 2021 I made a 3rd book to go along with my original set of two.

I called this one 

Mt. Saint Helens, The Living Laboratory.











The next stop for the exhibition show was Port Angeles Art Museum. 


Unfortunately the large overstuff Book of Knowledge and Mt Saint Helens, The Living Laboratory
 along with the Big Horn Sheep antlers were stolen. 
The smallest book - the leather bound girdle book with watercolor drawings 
of Mt St. Helens was spared. 
It is now part of the Science Stories exhibition currently at Whitman College. 



2022
This year's Puget Sound Book Artist Member Exhibition had a theme - Peaks and Valleys.

I call this book 

Escaping Flatland






It was serious study of The Four Treasures (sumi brush, stone, ink and paper) and 
The Three Perfections (poetry, painting, and calligraphy).
Workbook 1 focused on sumi brush painting, kanji character writing, haiku poetry.
 Workbook 2 utilized suminagashi paintings and responsive writing. 
Mountains and valleys, waves and troughs were the subject.



As the season shifts to Autumn it seems odd that the activity level is increasing. 
Perhaps it is the instinct to prepare for winter. 

My checklist
Plenty of paper 
Pencils
Inks
Paints
tools
Ideas
tea and coffee

Yup, I think I am ready to dig in. 
Puget Sound Book Artists has a new workshop going -
"A Study of Home" - taught by Shu-Ju Wang
and I am all signed up.
May the creativity flow. 








No comments:

Post a Comment