Tuesday, April 7, 2020

TRANSFORMING

On a Super Full Moon day... I venture out into the cyber world. The days are warmer and the air clearer. It feels possible to speak about the last few months since my last post. So much has happened. So much is still happening. The whole world is being rebooted, reset, and reassembled. In time I am sure we will see the drama, death and destruction will be transformed into a new way, a new life, painful as it maybe. Some will question Mother Nature's process, but I will not.

Fall was all about traveling the southern states. Let me just say some of our experiences lead me to believe some things have just not changed fast enough for ME. Perhaps this is why the days and weeks and months that followed were so fraught with frustration. I tried my best to view the national issues with balance. As my frustration grew I knew it was important to find creative ways to deal with the negative frustration. I will leave my point of view to just one picture. Prayer flags, peace cranes, quilting, flag making, cutting up recycled calendars to make trees, pin cushions, stitchery... did not completely transform my frustration, but no need to stir those past embers into flames.


Yet who knew. these habits of creativity would help so well now during this Corona virus pandemic.

I do believe we are in informational times. Sometimes we have to look back to see where we have been in order to determine our path forward.

The following work contains a folder printed with hand-carved stamps, embellished with embroidery on silk book cloth,  and a magnetized flap closure. The amate bark covered book is Coptic bound with hand-stitching on the hinges.  The pages are my own botanical prints on Arches cover paper. The contents on the pages are a small variety of fragments, bits and pieces and experiments from my bookmaking. The last pages, on Mi-Tientes paper are photos of the books I have created over the last ten years. In looking back I am so appreciative to the many Puget Sound Book Artist members, guests instructors, and lecturers, who in addition to Nature inspired my creative efforts.


May our creativity save us!




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for posting this. I will say that the hearbreak you feel from lack of change and progress is evident throughout this country, not only in the southern states. We human beings tend to collect about us people of like opinions and similar hearts. Venturing out of wherever we "cocoon" reveals much that is disappointing, frustrating, heartrending, but also much that is worth celebrating. Interesting times, complex layers.

    ReplyDelete