Thursday, April 23, 2015

In the mood, finally

It has been a long time since I last checked in. Frankly, it has been a strange spring. I don't even have the words to express it. The only explanation appears to be  - it wasn't in the stars. I believe that these unusual (?) star alignments have affected others as well. Many of the bloggers I follow just haven't been very talkative either. Perhaps like me, others are hunkering down, going inward, seeing what there is to see, observing, reflecting, taking note. It hasn't been bad to do so. It has seemed to be really important. New thoughts about life have come to roost much like the little bird in the nest outside in the tree. I scrunch down in my seat with a wiggle to show myself exactly how that looks and feels.

During this intense period of reflecting I completed an artist book which I call Below the Surface, Reflections from the Underground. Hopefully life wont get too weird between now and the end of April so I can enter it into a show. I will have to set aside my insecurities to do so though, but that isn't a new thought. Just one of the many old beliefs that have to be examined and reexamined. As part of that process of self examination I recently took a workshop "Seeing What's There" with Marilyn Frasca. Using the Ira Progoff method of journaling she used various techniques to help us connect our lives with our art work. It was one of those significant moments where a light bulb forms over your head and an O shape forms on your lips. It was deep yet easy to forget due to old patterning. It fit in perfectly with the reflecting feeling that apparently is still in the star forecast.

I put these images out there in 'etherland' so I can see them reflected back to myself to see "what's there." If anything... do you see how hard it is to keep the commentary supportive? Where did that prickly little burr coming from? (This is probably why it is important to be quiet during self discovery ... otherwise you act and talk like a raving lunatic!! Giggle.)






The show this is intended for is called "Dirt" and will be exhibited at the University of Puget Sound Collin's Library at the end of summer. The imagery I created was about under the ground, but I found  a strong connection between going deep within the soil and going deep within the mind . Somehow it was all connected. If anything, this quiet time has only reinforced the notion that "it's all connected" - every last little thing.

 

5 comments:

  1. These are lovely! I wish I was closer to the show site so I could see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful book. I wish I could see it closer, I'd like to try and puzzle out how you created some of these images

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful book. Your work is always awesome and inspiring to me. I totally grok how difficult it can be to accept one's own work as good, great, awesome, inspiring. I think when we get to the point where we're only doing it for ourselves, then perhaps we can appreciate our own skillful creativity. Hope the rest of spring is good for/to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, Jac and Connie, Thank you for you kind words. As time permits I will share with you the binding technique. You might like to try it yourself. Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it's good to see you back. As always, I love your work...the tree roots are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete