Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Between the waves

On November 3, I awoke from a dream where I imagined a self directed course of study for myself focused on printmaking, complete with instructions on how to record my progress all the way to final assignments for each technique. I took my dream seriously and wrote it all down. Two days later I even typed it into a structured format for clarity and accountability. In between those two days life went sideways. Three weeks later...

Between the crashing waves and pull of the under tow I try to catch my breath so I can continue my  caregiver role. Sometimes I simply sit. Other times find respite in my studio. Last week, in spite of the cold (40 degrees inside my tiny crows nest) I soon was oblivious. With effort I picked up where I had left off - Nov. 3 - the day before the two falls.   I used a photo from a recent trip,  photoshoped it, and then made a tracing. I cut the soft fun foam and started to print. The inks were new to me and the results varied. I discovered quite a bit and soon was ready to move on to the next level. Two days later I redesigned the image, cut a new plate and tried again. I came away with many realizations. I hope I remember them.

It is sometimes hard to remember when new waves crash over you. I mean I know - just like at the ocean  - the big waves are going to come, but the frequency and amplitude is disturbing. Sometimes you don't even see them coming making it hard to prepare. And then there's the calm which is just as unnerving. It's chaos man!

This is why making (or trying to make) art is so important.




 
 


Bored with the print I play...


 
with the ink left on the plate.
 
 
 
Another day I resized the image thinking that would help...
 


Thoughts of how to get the windows in, registration issues... why one type of ink works better than another....

 
Instead I play with the ink left on the plate and use the foam cut outs instead of the original piece.

 
and then go deeper into how I feel.


Today I couldn't even go there. Instead I made cards for family.
Of course they won't get to them in time for Thanksgiving.
Where's Captain Kirk and his "beam me up Scotty" machine?
 

 
 
 The words: Let us be thankful for the opportunity in each new day.


 

1 comment:

  1. It is so amazing what we can do in our quiet space.When the wind around us is spins in every direction.Beautiful work. g.a.s.

    ReplyDelete